Radio Streaming - 50% Lifetime Discount with purchase of any Joomla Web Radio Addon. Discount Code: STR15-Z
See Radio Streaming Plans

Thread: Need some help here ASAP!

Need some help here ASAP!

I love this player but I'm having some hosting issues since our listening audience is getting so big. I need to be able to change the time limit for the calls to iTunes for the album art. I need to change it so that it doesn't make that call so often. Here is the message I got from my network engineer.

"I can see that 12780 outgoing connections were attempted in the last hour. I'm thinking this could be caused by the songPlaying feature (or some similar feature) of one of the third party extensions installed on the site. If I'm reading the code correctly, every logged in user is doing a POST request every few seconds to poll the song name and metadata. Every time this is polled, the website itself is doing a manual connection attempt to "itunes.apple.com" over port 443 which is served by Amakai, and then that data is relayed back to each user.

I recommend asking the developer of the extension to implement some sort of caching to prevent a 1:1 ratio of connection attempts. In theory this data should only be polled every 30 seconds or so by the server and not every multiple times a minute by each visitor on the site. This could be a design flaw of the components you are using on the site, or maybe there's a caching feature inside of the component that just isn't activated right now. In theory, all visitors to the site should be able to share the same polled data as long as that data is reasonably current. 1:1 ratio of requests every few seconds simply doesn't scale.

One thing that concerns me is that initiating over 50,000+ rapid connection attempts to Amakai every time the site gets busy could actually trigger Amakai's firewall and they could block access to your site. "

Is this something I can do or will the developer have to do it? I definitely need some help with this as I'm currently taxing 4 CPU's and 10 gigs of Ram when we get busy.

Thanks in Advance!

Wade
    TexasHoldemRadio.com

Super Moderator
    Hello wadeandrews,

I undestand the point about huge requests due to large amount of listeners.
    The problem is that the metadata of song, artist and cover album should be requested every while, since our addon, could not know when a song finishes and starts a new one.
    With that being said, I cannot imagine any way that this could be cached so as we limit the amount of requests needed.

I ll forward your message to our dev team and I ll be back in case we have any solution (which, honestly, right now, I can not even imagine which it could be).
    Support Operator
    MultiHosting.com

I know the program needs to make calls for the cover art, title, etc. However it should be a very easy fix to change a value. Like change the call time from 10 seconds to 50 seconds. If I knew what file the call code is in I could make a value change. It's not difficult and doesn't change the code at all. Just a simple value change. At this point I won't be able to use the software at all anymore as it's is really overtaxing my server. I have 4 cpu's and 12 Gigs of Ram on this thing and Should never have to deal with resource issues like this. For smaller streamers, 20-30 people I doubt there is a problem but when you get to the 100 concurrent connections it really strains resources.

This is a great little program but it is not suitable for streams with many listeners. If there are more than 20-30 listeners it causes so many calls it eats up 4 CPU's of processing power. We've had to remove it from the site which is a shame because it really is a nice player. IF it gets upgraded any time soon to handle more listeners I would use it again in a heartbeat and pay more for it.

Hello

you can change 10 to 50 seconds withe the bellow procedure:
    1. find pop up player folder, at the modules folder.(mod_radioplayer)
    2. then go to tmpl folder and find popup.php file.
    3. at line 293 or somewhere near there, the is this code like the bellow:
    setInterval(function(){
    getData();
    }, 10000);
    4. you can change 10000 to 50000 to make the module ask for song data every 50 seconds.

Nikos